Saturday 14 January 2012

What Matilda did next


The topic of tattoos came up over brunch with a couple of friends today. We decided that, as even deciding what to get for breakfast can sometimes be a stuggle, working out what to get permanently inked onto ourselves would be a bit of a stretch.

But after much consideration (at least a couple of seconds or so), I decided that if I was going to get a tattoo, I might get a quote from my original literary heroine, Matilda.

If we get into the picky details of it, my parents might contest that Matilda was my original heroine. After all, how could I pick her over my other bosom friend, the trusty Anne of Green Gables, the girl who showed the world that orange hair was made of awesome?

I justify my reasoning by putting it out there that Anne sort of settled. She found her dream man, her house of dreams, and settled down to making babies, and, very rarely, stories.

Whereas Matilda? You just know that this girl kicked ass. She made pencils levitate in kindergarten. I'm pretty sure she continued to rock socks off.

Seeing as we've already established that I'm not decisive (or hipster, let's face facts) enough to get a tattoo, I might as well blog about the inspiration behind my imaginary ink.

What would Matilda do next? 

Maybe ... read, read, read, write, levitate, read, drink tea, visit Miss Honey, read, run her own publishing company, read, play bike polo ... All we can do is try and follow her example.

Reading: Mindy Kaling's 'Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (and other concerns)', listening to the radio, drinking English Breakfast (why does English Breakfast not taste anything like an actual English breakfast?).

No comments:

Post a Comment